Friday, May 22, 2009

Angels and Demons Truth

Angels and Demons Truth

Seems that we have another major motion picture inspired by the fertile imagination of Dan Brown. As has been well documented in the multitude of rebuttals to The Da Vinci Code blockbuster, we know Mr. Brown is not above stretching, embellishing twisting and portioning the truth, and even resorts to outright fabrications to establish his plot. The thing that got Christians in an uproar was Dan’s insistence that all his “facts” were indeed factual and not the imaginative and fanciful plot thickening ingredients that they truly were.

Nevertheless, some Christians whom I respect and are well grounded in the reality of biblical Christianity found entertainment value in the Da Vinci Code book and movie, and so I will not tell everybody “don’t go see this movie”. I chose not to partake of the former book or movie (and will not involve myself in the current book or film) because I find the reality of biblical Christianity much more exciting, intriguing, enriching and mind blowing than some modern tall tales fabricated in the mind of an unscrupulous unbeliever with an agenda. Also, malevolent blasphemies make me uncomfortable and angry, not what I call a “good time”.

For those of you who may see the movie or read the book, and have questions about some of the movie’s “facts” , Westminster Theological Seminary has set up this great website that answers many claims made by Dan Brown with hard, cold, reality.

Angels and Demons Truth

Vern Poythress, Ph. D., Th. D., Professor of New Testament Interpretation at Westminster Theological Seminary looks to be the major contributor. And in his usual humble, irenic and lucid style, intelligently reduces Dan Brown’s fallacies to naught.

The site itself is well designed and easily navigated, full of great content and links. I will be bookmarking it just to keep up with what is being said and argued concerning this. I know it is usually better to consult primary sources, but I think that in this case I'll consult this reliable, trustworthy secondary source.

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    many thanks for the link. I am not up on current culture because we have not had a television in many years, so I am glad that I will have a way to understand the discussions about the movie that I may encounter.
    I kept wondering what all the hoopla was about and now I know. Still glad that I am so out of touch though;)

    ReplyDelete